- Latest Update: January 11, 2021 1:26 pm
Om Puri was born on 18-10-1950 in Ambala in the state of Haryana, India. He was an Indian Film Actor, Television Actor & Voice Artist who was best known for his work in Hindi, English, Malayalam, Marathi, Kannada, Punjabi, Telugu, Bengali, Lollywood & Gujarati films. He also acted in some Hindi/British television series.
|Other Name:||Om Prakash Puri, Om Rajesh Puri, Sikandar of Art Movies|
|Other Professions:||Television Actor Voice Artist|
Om Puri Biography, Relationship & Career
To fulfill ends he started working at a nearby tea shop at the tender age of 7. After he did various odd jobs to be certain that his family’s ends are met. Together with working, he also kept studying and completed his primary schooling. It was during this time he made a friend of a life in Naseeruddin Shah who insisted he accompanies him to the Film and Television Institute of India in Pune. He made his acting debut in the year 1972 with the Hindi movie titled Ghashiram Kotwal. He rose to stardom with the much-acclaimed movie Aakrosh in the year 1980. This movie was a turning point in his career and he also won the Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for this movie. This movie helped her get various meaningful roles. He won back to back National awards for his performance in movies like Arohan and Ardh Satya in the calendar year 1982 & 1983 respectively.
He’s been a regular feature in Hindi cinema since then and has given various award-winning performances in movies like Ghayal, Maachis, Gupt: The Hidden Truth, Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha, He was also famous for some of the comic characters he played on screen in movies like Hera Pheri, Singh is King, Chachi 420, and Malamal Weekly among others.
Along with Hindi, he’s worked in some South Indian languages movies and some English series also. He was last seen in Salman Khan starred movie Tubelight at the function of Banne Chacha.
He had been born to Rajesh Puri & Tara Puri. He had an elder brother called Ved Puri. He was married to Seema Kapoor (sister of renowned celebrity Annu Kapoor) in 1991 & divorced in the same year. He then married Nandita Puri in 1993. Together the couple had a son called Ishaan Puri
Body Measurements of Om Puri
|Eye Color||Dark Brown|
Personal Info of Om Puri
|Home Town||Ambala, Haryana, India.|
|Address||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|College||National School of Drama, New Delhi Film and Television Institute of India, Pune|
|Qualification||Graduate in Acting|
|Hobbies||Travelling, Reading Books|
|Net worth||USD 20 Million|
Favourite things of Om Puri
|Favorite food||Brain Curry|
Shocking / Interesting Facts & Secrets About Om Puri
- He's the recipient of the prestigious Padma Shri award in Addition to National Film Awards.
- Puri is familiar by his deep voice and intimidating presence.
- Om Puri has praised Narendra Modi and has blasted Sonia Gandhi for indicating her son Rahul needs to be Prime Minister.
- The actor was married to Nandita Puri but they split in 2013. Nandita accused the actor of domestic abuse, stating he beat her with a stick. Puri says the claims were unjustified but has kept quiet because of his son's sake.
- Veteran Indian actor Om Puri was honoured with a renowned museum for his contribution to theatre through a special tribute which showcased clips from some of his best films and highlighted that the actor's journey from a theater student to one of the most prominent actors.
- From the mid-1990s, Om Puri became famous globally by starring in several British films such as My Son The Fanatic, East Is East and The Parole Officer. He appeared in Hollywood movies including City Of Joy opposite Patrick Swayze; Wolf along with Jack Nicholson and The Ghost and the Darkness opposite Val Kilmer.
- On The Anupam Kher series, Naseer did not hesitate to show that Om Puri is much more of a romantic than that he likes to show. He further disclosed that during their N.S.D days, Om would deliver flowers and candies for the women and charm them.